Wiring diagram

Tim

Re: Wiring diagram

Post by Tim » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:44

BillM wrote:Everything we get here comes in airfreight on medium lead times, so even if there is a bullet or a connector needed then job grinds to a halt until supplies arrive. Necessity becomes the mother of invention.
Which will be why your electrics got so butchered in the first place.

I recently had a loom made for my Traveller by Autosparks, its a top job and a bit cheaper than Vinwire (but posting half of it back to the UK for replacement soaked a lot of that up). My brother-in-law just got one for his Aussie Mini K from vinwire, we figured it made sense to get one for an Aussie vehicle from an Australian supplier - but it cost closer to $500 than $300. I haven't seen it, but they have a very good reputation.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:33

BillM wrote:Thanks Nigel - I have them now.

I have a new Autosparks loom which seems to me nearly right for the vehicle. The previous "expert" owner seems to have butchered the electrics however so its a forensic job to work out what goes where.

(as an aside - If I can manage a full top end overhaul and front end suspension refurb here I'm not keen to let a few measly wires get in the way of my further enjoyment of Moking)

Everything we get here comes in airfreight on medium lead times, so even if there is a bullet or a connector needed then job grinds to a halt until supplies arrive. Necessity becomes the mother of invention.
I can identify with that. :cry:
Having a moking good time!

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Jun 29, 2014 23:50

Me too. I just paid $30 to have a piece of cardboard freighted from the US.

I'm buying my Traveller off ebay, one piece at a time.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

BillM

Post by BillM » Mon Jul 14, 2014 23:59

A busy weekend in the garage..........

Lashed-up wiring loom to get general layout and location

All good - surprisingly - but I have some "extra" connections that don't have an obvious home.......... three pairs of wires to female spade connectors green/red, green/brown and green/white - these branch off the loom near to the fusebox - I'm guessing connectors for a hazard flasher can?

Not easy to see where the hazard switch might go (there wasn't one on the car when I got it) I do have an apparently spare green/brown under the dash with no obvious home though.

Random red wire coming from somewhere in the transverse member upon which the seats are mounted into the side pannier in front of the fuel tank - handbrake indicator switch perhaps?

Random purple wire off the main loom - no obvious connection (this isn't the horn, as I have a purple and purple/black pair already connected there)

Ignition switch has four male spade connectors, and the loom has four male bullets - Brown and White OK, as is one of the white/red - ignition circuit and everything else works OK - I have a spare white/red wire off the loom though - think I should joint it to the one used on the switch?

As an aside - also fitted a pair of H4's and wow what a difference! Adjusted my new HiLos as well and its great to be driving something not on the bump stops all the time - this suspension stuff could really catch on big one day............

spider
MMC Member

Post by spider » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:23

BillM wrote:A busy weekend in the garage..........

Lashed-up wiring loom to get general layout and location

All good - surprisingly - but I have some "extra" connections that don't have an obvious home.......... three pairs of wires to female spade connectors green/red, green/brown and green/white - these branch off the loom near to the fusebox - I'm guessing connectors for a hazard flasher can?

Not easy to see where the hazard switch might go (there wasn't one on the car when I got it) I do have an apparently spare green/brown under the dash with no obvious home though.
Working from original colours, Green/Red is for Left Turn, Green/White is for Right Turn.

Now the Green/Brown, this maybe a little murky;

(dark) Green/Brown is from the Reverse Light Switch to the Reverse Light (this was only on later mokes)
(light) Green/Brown is from the 'L' terminal of the Flasher Can to the (common of the) Blinker Stalk

So I would guess that it could be wiring for a Hazard Switch as you've suggested, however it all will work OK without this switch, only you'll have no hazard lights, unless you need them for registration purposes in your neck of the woods.

BillM wrote: Random red wire coming from somewhere in the transverse member upon which the seats are mounted into the side pannier in front of the fuel tank - handbrake indicator switch perhaps?
Yes, the later cars had a Handbrake Warning Lamp and that would be the wire going to the switch.
BillM wrote: Random purple wire off the main loom - no obvious connection (this isn't the horn, as I have a purple and purple/black pair already connected there)
A plain Purple Wire is Live via a fuse all the time. Where is this one you've found?
BillM wrote: Ignition switch has four male spade connectors, and the loom has four male bullets - Brown and White OK, as is one of the white/red - ignition circuit and everything else works OK - I have a spare white/red wire off the loom though - think I should joint it to the one used on the switch?
Hmm,,, that's a little odd. The White/Red is to activate the coil on the starter solenoid. It maybe there for a Coil that has a Ballast Resistor fitted, however as far as I am aware, that type of coil was never fitted to a Moke.
BillM wrote: As an aside - also fitted a pair of H4's and wow what a difference! Adjusted my new HiLos as well and its great to be driving something not on the bump stops all the time - this suspension stuff could really catch on big one day............
Yeah, I also run H4s and have done for a long time, though I'm told that there are better lights about these days. Mhaa,,, I'm just too old to change now!

I is surprising how well these cars do ride! On a recent trip, one who came along with his dad in their late (coil sprung) Landcruiser refused to get back in to the Cruiser after riding in the Mokes, he said that the Mokes rode 'oh so much smoother and better' :)
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.

Return to “Electrical”