Tail and number plate lights not working

Jersey Moke

Tail and number plate lights not working

Post by Jersey Moke » Tue Aug 26, 2014 19:19

Hi

Can any one help me out here?

Both the tail lights and the number plate light are not working on my Moke. When I checked the lights, the passenger bulb had blown. Also the speedo light is has stopped working. I have checked the fuses and they both seem to be fine.

Does anyone know what else it could be?

Nick

spider
MMC Member

Re: Tail and number plate lights not working

Post by spider » Tue Aug 26, 2014 19:27

What Year Model do you have and do the front park lamps come on?
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.

Jersey Moke

Post by Jersey Moke » Tue Aug 26, 2014 19:37

Hello Spider,

It is a 1980 model and the front side lights are also not working.

Nick

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Tue Aug 26, 2014 20:06

If memory serves me correctly and the fuse box is the same as the mini one with 4 fuses in it (which I'm sure it is) fuse number 7-8 is the side lights and instrument lights. The contacts can, and do, corrode and then the lights stop working but the fuse is OK. wiggling the fuse sometimes gets it working but a new fuse box is the real answer if that is the cause.
At least can add up

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Aug 26, 2014 23:27

Also inspect the wiring loom where it passes through the LHS rear wheel arch. The wiring loom to the rear is tucked up inside the wheel arch in a sort of channel, but it can easily drop out, and rub against the back of the tyre, which quickly chafes through the insulation. I've had it happen on both my Mokes.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

spider
MMC Member

Post by spider » Wed Aug 27, 2014 0:54

OK, gotya. There is a fuse for it, but often hidden away. It's not in the fuse box at all, but an inline job, an 'after-thought' if you like! The wire colours will be Red on the live side and Red / White on the load side. This in-line fuse holder is usually found around the stock fuse box, but often tucked in to the harness.

The other thing to check is in fact if the switch is working properly, fairly common for these to give trouble. If you carefully rock the rocker while in the middle position, you may get the odd flash from the lights. Sometimes it is possible to change these switches from the front, just by pulling and wiggling the switch about.

If it's not one of these, then you'll have to go looking for a short, I had one in only last week in fact, turned out to be the number plate lamp in that case, but could be anywhere. If you can't find anything obvious in the way of a short, but you feel that is the trouble, then to help isolate and narrow down where to continue looking, you can remove the small side plate that would be on the LH side around knee height, find the Red wire in there and cut it to help work out if it's in the front section or the rear end. Then once the problem is fixed re-join the wires in your favorite way, pop the cover back on, then there's nothing to see :)
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.

Return to “Electrical”