Careless with his Wispa

Freewheeling banter.....anything goes as long as it's clean and nothing to do with Mokes.
Dean
MMC Member

Careless with his Wispa

Post by Dean » Mon Feb 11, 2008 0:45

Reminds me of that old George Michael joke...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 237724.stm
Dean

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Feb 11, 2008 0:55

Hmm, Wispa bars must be a British thing. I have noticed that people sell Picnic bars on ebay, to appeal to expat Brits who miss them. Weird really because you can buy them anywhere here.

I quickly searched wispa on ebay. You'd be peeved to have paid for that out of date one.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search. ... %3D1&fgtp=

Tim

Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:04

But they don't sell UK Picnic bars here. As any ex-pat will tell you, the wrappers may look the same but they don't taste the same.
When we get any visitors over, we ask them to bring UK Dairy Milk with them. The Uptons brought us half a suitcase of the stuff when they came over for the Muster (when are you coming back Louisa and Paul?).
I didn't even realise they had stopped selling Wispas. I prefer Aero which is similar.
Dean

Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:07

Didn't the same thing happen with "Star Bars"? Cadbury stopped making them and reintroduced them years later?
Dean

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:59

Must be like guinness, they used to say it didn't taste the same here. Supposedly they toned the formula down for colonial palates. That caused furore amongst guinness purists so then they supposedly went back to the original recipe, which annoyed everyone that liked the Australian version.

Tim

louisa

Post by louisa » Mon Feb 11, 2008 18:05

I hope that you havent eaten all that chocolate that we bought out!

It should have lasted until we come back for the 45th Muster in 2011! :lol: :lol:

Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:06

Tim wrote:Must be like guinness, they used to say it didn't taste the same here. Supposedly they toned the formula down for colonial palates. That caused furore amongst guinness purists so then they supposedly went back to the original recipe, which annoyed everyone that liked the Australian version.

Tim
That didn't just happen over here. I used to work in my Dad's pub in South London and due to the large Irish population in the area, we had many Guinness experts on hand to criticise how I poured it.
Guinness at the time was brewed and bottled by many different breweries in London and therefore had a different taste depending on where it was brewed/bottled/sold. I was told by many experts that Foster Probyn Guinness was the best.
I couldn't stand the stuff back then, it wasn't until I attended the 1997 IMM in Ireland that I became a fan (and an alcoholic).
Dean

Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:07

louisa wrote:I hope that you havent eaten all that chocolate that we bought out!

It should have lasted until we come back for the 45th Muster in 2011! :lol: :lol:
Yes, the whole shipment is gone....please send more....
Dean

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:38

dean wrote: I couldn't stand the stuff back then, it wasn't until I attended the 1997 IMM in Ireland that I became a fan (and an alcoholic).
Dean
I still can't stand it, its like liquid vegemite, and I'm not normally a fussy drinker.

Tim

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Wed Feb 13, 2008 21:13

I've never tried vegemite ----- But if it tastes like guinness

Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G » Wed Feb 13, 2008 21:21

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:I've never tried vegemite ----- But if it tastes like guinness
Isn't it like Marmite?

Both loaded with salt. :?
Having a moking good time!

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Feb 13, 2008 23:09

Doug G wrote:
Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:I've never tried vegemite ----- But if it tastes like guinness
Isn't it like Marmite?

Yep, indistinguishable, except by the discerning palate. Basically a brown salt-lick.

Tim

Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G » Thu Feb 14, 2008 0:11

Tim wrote:
Doug G wrote:
Isn't it like Marmite?

Yep, indistinguishable, except by the discerning palate. Basically a brown salt-lick.

Tim
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Having a moking good time!

Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:50

Tim wrote:
Doug G wrote:
Isn't it like Marmite?

Tim
Ben Elton once likened Marmite as "Licking a cats bum".
But I wouldn't call them (Vegemite and Marmite) indistinguishable from each other.
Vegemite is a lot more solid in constituency and is not as tart. Australia has it's own Marmite brand which tastes bloody awful (from a UK Marmite fans perspective) and Vegemite wins hands down.
They have started selling the UK brand here now for the growing ex-pat market but it's called "Our Mate".
Dean

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Thu Feb 14, 2008 21:27

Well it would be exceedingly confusing what with Vegemite, Marmite, Marmite(UK) and guinness wouldn't it

Return to “Side Scream”