RC Mokes

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
Daniel
MMC Member

RC Mokes

Post by Daniel » Sat Mar 30, 2013 21:21

Hi,

inspired by a discussion via PM with a few guys we have decided to start a thread for our RC Mokes.

All started last year with publishing my Moke model website and presenting the RC shell of Christoph Hoffmann. A few Mokers asked if they are still available and meanwhile we got another 5 shells which we want to build up for a race at the IMMM 2013 in Luxembourg "The Luxembourg Moke GP". :D

We are also looking for other RC Mokes in the world!

Let me start with my project:
I got my shell a few years ago as a birthday present but did not had a fitting chassis. That changed last autumn when I saw a Kyosho Mini Cooper at a parts market.
Now I have to fit the shell to this chassis:

The shell is still not painted and so you can see that it doesn´t fit perfectly to this chassis:

It looks like I have to cut out a piece of the shell but I don´t like to do that. Maybe the Tamiya M-chassis fits better. Most people have used that one.

Alternatively I have tried the nitro version of the Kyosho Mini but this fits even worse:

In a first step I will use the electric chassis and let the shell a bit higher to keep it without cutting.
Updates will come soon...

Comments and showing your RC Mokes are welcome!

Daniel
The Moke model car overview: http://www.mokemodels.tk

clm

Re: RC Mokes

Post by clm » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:00

How about instead of shortening the shell, you lengthen the chassis?

Chris
1965 Austin Moke - Rust was not free, I paid dearly for it
1961 Morris Traveller - Bent but repairable
1960 Morris saloon.. err wagon.. err Pickup, yeah that's it! - My first car
1980 Mini 95 Van shell - pickup load floor donor

fistral fig

Post by fistral fig » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:09

Walk in the park for someone like you Chris???

Daniel
MMC Member

Post by Daniel » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:05

clm wrote:How about instead of shortening the shell, you lengthen the chassis?

Chris
Chris,
maybe I wrote not clear enough. It is not the length but the height of the chassis. I need to cut out a hole in the shell or just leave it higher in the the rear (like a hot rod).

Daniel

clm

Post by clm » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:33

Hmm well in that case, why not get a bit of plate, fiberglass or aluminum maybe? And make a flat plate chassis that the suspension components would mount to to reduce the height of the components?

Should be easy enough to pull the components off and set them over a piece of thin cardboard to sketch out something that would connect them front to back?

And Geee thanks FF ;)

Chris
1965 Austin Moke - Rust was not free, I paid dearly for it
1961 Morris Traveller - Bent but repairable
1960 Morris saloon.. err wagon.. err Pickup, yeah that's it! - My first car
1980 Mini 95 Van shell - pickup load floor donor

Daniel
MMC Member

Post by Daniel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:16

Chris,
that´s what I´m checking at the moment. I was already looking which suspension components are fitting best (just to leave the Mini complete) but haven´t decided yet.

Daniel

janz
MMC Member

Post by janz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 23:58

Hi Daniel,

Once again, many thanks for all your efforts to get the remaining shells. I've been hard at work on mine too and finally found a way to make it fit. I did have to cut a piece out of the shell, including Christoph's signature panel. I have kept it and am looking for ways to still incorporate it.

I decided to use the chassis from a 1/10 Tamiya Peugeot 306WRC I still had lying around - unused for many years. It uses the FWD FF02 chassis which is almost the same as the M03 as used in the 1/10 Mini but with a 40mm or so extension in the middle and slightly longer wishbones giving it a slightly wider track. I had seen a write up on another RC Moke in the US recommending using the M01 chassis, but I felt I had to try and use what I had. I did spoil myself a little though and bought some Minilites and dirt tyres. Forgot the spare though... back to Ebay :roll:

I think the fit is actually very good, with the 40mm centre section of the chassis removed, the wheel base being about as close as you could want. Luckily the shell mount uprights were usable too. I simply swapped the front with the rear including the riser bracket. The Moke is a strange shell as the front is higher than the back. The opposite way round to most RC cars. The way the shell sits now is a little higher at the back than the front - bit like an English Moke (well, with me sat in it anyway :lol: )

The panel cut out is for the steering servo housing. I have some polycarbonate sheet so I may try to fashion a cover which will become the dash and mount for steering wheel. More pics in gallery.

Just got to break of it's horns now :lol:
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ

Weske
MMC Member

Post by Weske » Thu Apr 04, 2013 16:35

Nice nice !!
My RC Moke is still in the bag you give to me ... I must make some time, Moke time 8)

With witch tool you have cut out the Moke out the plastic ? Dremel ?

janz
MMC Member

Post by janz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 17:07

Weske wrote:With witch tool you have cut out the Moke out the plastic ? Dremel ?
Hi Wesley... this is a painstaking job, best slowly done with small sharp scissors - seriously. I find the best ones are the ones you get on the Swiss Army Knife. They are sharp and allow lots of control as your fingers are close to the cutting surface as well as being able to cut small radii. The long straight edges (under panier and along back) are better with long scissors as you get a cleaner edge over length. The hole for the servo housing was cut using and X-acto scalpel - etching the whole shape quite deep before finally cutting. It is important you etch first otherwise it is too easy to slip and make a large unwanted cut in the polycarbonate. If you look in the gallery, you can see the basic shape of the cut-out. The shell upright arm holes were made by..... a soldering iron. Not the best finish, but with the clips over and under, not noticable. Do this very carefully as the hole quickly enlarges....

I am now folding a cover for the servo housing. I will attach the CH2002 stamp to this and add a steering wheel and dashboard sticker. I may need to paint the cover from the outside if the creases stay white.
JanZ

grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 17:24

Hi Guys. You can get proper Lexan scissors from fleabay, these are the ones I have

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANSMANN-Curve ... 35ba47570c

I have sorted my chassis, an M03 with 3Racing trick bits. I will sort some pictures, when I can.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1992 VW T3 Multivan LLE No 2113

janz
MMC Member

Post by janz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 17:36

They look great... and can use them on your toenails when you're done cutting the Moke shell :lol: On a serious note - I used to have some very similar probably identical but more expensive actually as they came in a Tamiya bag at the time :roll: . Lost them a long time ago :cry: . They were the best.

YOu might be able to tell me what's the best tool to cut small round holes with. I carefully used a soldering iron to cut the post holes - but I may fit some LEDs.... sort of looking for a leather punch or the like. Any ideas?
JanZ

Daniel
MMC Member

Post by Daniel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 20:57

Jan,
that´s quite a large piece you had to cut out.
I´m still trying to avoid this and will accept a larger gap between rear wings and wheels. Next step is fitiing the upright arms and making the holes in the shell (thanks for your tip with the solder iron).

Yesterday I took my son´s 4WD monster truck chassis just to see how it looks with a Moke shell. That´s also interesting but too slow for our race:

So if you ever think of a monster Moke! :mrgreen:

Daniel

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Thu Apr 04, 2013 21:10

I think you would have a few problems getting it through the MOT with those wheels :lol:
Summer

Daniel
MMC Member

Post by Daniel » Fri Apr 05, 2013 19:39

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:I think you would have a few problems getting it through the MOT with those wheels :lol:
Just a few very small problems! :roll:
I´m glad that I don´t need MOT or TUEV (in Germany) for this project.

Daniel

janz
MMC Member

Post by janz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:07

Daniel wrote:Jan,
that´s quite a large piece you had to cut out.
I´m still trying to avoid this and will accept a larger gap between rear wings and wheels. Next step is fitiing the upright arms and making the holes in the shell (thanks for your tip with the solder iron).
Daniel
I think you will be hard pressed to get the shell to fit nicely without cutting some of the shell away. I didn't want to cut that piece out either, but when you see the fit, it is almost made for it.

On the other hand, if you increase the shell height above the chassis, it wil be easier to fit the radio gear. I did play with all sorts of options, but it looked rubbish - especially as the shell is quite short. I have made a cover for the hole now and will probably cover it with some fabric or suitable finishing material to fashion a dashboard. At the moment it is held with gaffa tape - but it doesn't look too good close up. I have added the bumper mounts. I will find some rigid tubing (8mm will be good) tomorrow. Fitting the radio gear is really tough. There is virtually no space and the M03 chassis is quite narrow ant the back. I had to fit the ESC to the side of the chassis. I will make a guard out of some ally plate to protect it.

Painting tomorrow - need to find some reflective dishes for the headlight (torch reflector might work) and then mount the LEDs in their holders. Then... hood frame :wink:
JanZ

Return to “Project "M"”