Californian heater blower

Mokes and related items wanted
chris naish

Californian heater blower

Post by chris naish » Thu Apr 30, 2015 16:49

Hi Folks
As it's that time of year in this hemisphere to dig out our Mokes, I'm wondering if anyone on here...probably in the other hemisphere..has a heater blower I could purchase?? My Californian has one, however it sucked in some tissues and burnt out. I'd need the whole unit with the fan attatched, as I've discovered that it ain't a great idea to dismantle the two!!
Regards
Chris.
Chris Naish.

Wally2
MMC Member

Re: Californian heater blower

Post by Wally2 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 20:07

Hi Chris,
Not sure what you heater looks like but there is this on e-bay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-MINI- ... 5d57cc2084
Or complete unit thus
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/classic-mini- ... 41950c490a
Good luck

Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Apr 30, 2015 22:49

Which heater do you have Chris? The later (post 1980ish) one which fits neatly under the speedo housing? Its probably the hardest one to get parts for, the rest are just Mini heaters.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

chris naish

Post by chris naish » Fri May 01, 2015 8:34

Thanks Chris and Tim for replies!
The E Bay items are nothing like...I think I've got the post '80 type..the matrix is directly under the speedo...and the blower is housed under the passenger parcel shelf.....that's how tissues got sucked in! Looks like I'm going to struggle.........but live in hope!!
Cheers
Chris.
Chris Naish.

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun May 03, 2015 12:17

There's a high likelihood that the same blower motor was used in other heaters, but which ones?

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

4XMOKE
MMC Member

Post by 4XMOKE » Mon May 04, 2015 7:51

Chris,
If I were you, I'd redirect the speedo drive cable to the heater fan.
The faster you go, the warmer you'll get! Sorted....

Plus, you then have a viable excuse should you get stopped for speeding !

Glad I could help.
Roger G
My other car is a Moke......
My other Moke is an Ant....

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Mon May 04, 2015 11:31

Bah! Soft Southerners. Only time you need a heater is when you're stuck in traffic with a useless cooling system and hat never happens up ere cos we have decent traffic free roads :P
At least can add up

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue May 05, 2015 0:33

I've been looking into this, I don't have much experience with cars that late, so mainly by Google.

here's a useful bit of information from the Australian Moke forum from some fellow called 'Spider' who unfortunately doesn't post on there anymore.
spider wrote: ...On the Heaters, there were two types fitted to the Later Mokes.

The first one is that who most here are familiar with, the black metal one piece unit, sometimes mistaken as a Cooper S Heater. It was rated at 2.8 (heating) KW. Made in the UK as an optional fitment to the UK Vans and Pick-ups from 1969. This one was fitted to the Californian Moke when first introduced and then across the board in very late (~ November) 1979.

The other one in the Mokes was rated at 4 (heating) KW. Most of it components came from an option also offered as optional fitment (but hotter) to the UK Vans and Pick-ups. It was first fitted to Mokes from around April / May 1980. It was fitted because one of the Export Markets (Europe?) required it.

The 4.0 KW heater did not supersede the 2.5 KW unit, the two were 'fitted' (not together!), however the 2.5 KW Unit was deleted from production from the end of 1981...
Also lifted from the Australian forum is this picture of the heater referred to. The blower is in that big black snail shell under the passenger parcel shelf.
moemoke wrote: here's a pic of the last moke heaters and you can also see the flat wiper motor.
I'm not sure how you controlled the heater heat and vents

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue May 05, 2015 0:37

Another image 'borrowed' from Australia. This shows the motor in the snail shell. It looks like heaps of other Smiths heater motors to me. The one in my '61 Traveller is pretty much the same, although probably less blowy. Land Rovers were using something similar, as wer heaps of other UK vehicles.

Interestingly this snail shell looks a bit different from the one above.

Tim

Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean » Tue May 05, 2015 6:13

That motor does look suspiciously like what I had in my 65 Van.
Here's a picture of the complete unit.
Dean

Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean » Tue May 05, 2015 6:19

PS: But what's the betting that Chris has a totally different motor in his heater? LA used a different parts bin that day :lol: .
Dean

chris naish

Post by chris naish » Tue May 05, 2015 11:57

Problem sorted!
I've dismantled a standard mini heater from the 70's that I have 'in stock' and used the motor out of it.The motor has a fan at both ends, so I removed one and hey presto! I just wondered if the original item was available...trying to keep as original as poss....just my OCD kicking in!!
Regards to all!!
Chris.
Chris Naish.

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed May 06, 2015 0:09

If you google Smiths heater motor, or search ebay you'll find heaps of them, and they all look more or less the same, but I've noticed a few varaitions. They can 12V or rarely 24V, they can have either a single or double shaft, and some seem to prefer to rotate in a particular direction. There are also some variations in the way they mount, either using the bolts that pass through the body or a separate triangular mounting plate around their middles. I would guess that some are more powerful than others too, but don't know how you'd determine that.

These guys sell new replicas, but otherwise its probably just a matter of finding one that best matches the original. The picture below is the motor out of my Traveller, it shows a Smiths part number (4332/02), 12V, and the direction of rotation. If you were really particular (some might say 'anal') you would only accept a replacement with the same markings - luckily mine runs fine after a rebuild and a clean up inside, but the markings have rubbed off now so I'll have to find a way to re-stamp them (I prefer the term 'particular' myself).

Tim

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Wed May 06, 2015 18:55

They're right about one thing in their advert, at those prices "shafted" is the word :shock:
At least can add up

werewolf

Post by werewolf » Sat May 23, 2015 15:34

You are in luck. I have one that I have JUST taken out of AUS moke.. as the moke is going to Naples Florida.. make me an offer.. later bc

Return to “Wanted”