Email from Dave Orme

Posts relating to the Club.
Richard King
MMC Member

Email from Dave Orme

Post by Richard King » Wed Jul 15, 2015 20:50

Hi
Ive just had an email from Dave Orme ( not sure if it is some form of scam)
He is talking about the potential sale of club moulds etc to third parties.
I dont know anything about this but would be concerned that the Club is disposing of valuable tooling needlessly.
There is apparently committee meeting on Saturday to discuss this
If it isnt a scam please can someone clarify the position

Thank you
Richard

Robin Jones

Re: Email from Dave Orme

Post by Robin Jones » Wed Jul 15, 2015 22:16

[imgImage][/img]
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.

spider
MMC Member

Post by spider » Thu Jul 16, 2015 0:36

Oh dear,,,,,,
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.

johng
MMC Member

Post by johng » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:36

This is my email to the Club Chairman and Secretary:-

I totally disagree with any moves to dispose of the Club's assets without consent from the General Club Membership.

If there are concerns about liability where the club supplies spare parts , I agree the club should stop supply until the liability situation is clarified BUT not to sell off the tooling until an A.G.M or E.G.M.has voted to do so.

As usual with anything Moke , this stinks of people attempting to make money rather than enjoying our cars as a hobby.

I strongly request the committee make no decision about the tooling and moulds until the Club Membership has had the facts explained to them and an opportunity to express their wishes

jocro69

Post by jocro69 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:06

In any organisation the stakeholders/members must be prepared to leave the elected representatives to get on and manage affairs as they think best for the benefit of all. I think that on the whole, the Moke club has succeeded in this.

However, when it comes to the sale of club assets I think that the pros and cons of such a proposal should be laid before the members.

I have no strong opinion about the actual proposition, and cannot form one without first knowing all the information.

I believe that it is beholden of the chairman to make an unbiased statement on this matter in answer to all included in the circulated email, and in the forum on the club website.

I await this with interest

Richard

JoCro69
1981 Desert Sand Australian

Richard King
MMC Member

Post by Richard King » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:07

I totally agree with John G
Nothing must be done until we have full information and a chance to vote
Thank you

Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:16

Just wondering how many members have been selected to receive the email as I didn't get it?
Dean

Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:20

PS:"David Orme"?
Sounds familiar :wink:
Dean

Weske
MMC Member

Post by Weske » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:40

also i get the mail ...
but for the moment not get the time to read it good, for the moment the weather is good, time to drive with the moke 8)

Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:04

Weske wrote:also i get the mail ...
but for the moment not get the time to read it good, for the moment the weather is good, time to drive with the moke 8)

59Prototype

Post by 59Prototype » Thu Jul 16, 2015 13:37

I received the email from Dave Orme. I think it right that something as important as the possible sale of some of the club assets should be brought to the attention of the general membership of the Moke Club. That said, the point has been made here on the forum that the committee is elected to deal with matters on behalf of the general membership so it is up to the committee to sort things out. On balance it might have been a tad more diplomatic for the committee to have informed the members first before taking any and taking any final decision and that decision based on the overall feedback they have had from the membership. All for the sake of harmony and the avoidance of division!

Whilst I understand Dave Orme’s sentiments in sending out the email it might have been sensible on his part to have put his name at the bottom of the email. Only from his email address do I know that it is from a 'Dave Orme'. Although I’ve never heard of him no doubt many of you will know who he is. He might also have explained how he came to know about it all. He’s quoting information that I, as a Joe Bloggs member of the club would not have known about. I’d also like to know how he obtained my email address? To the best of my knowledge I have never had previous correspondence with him.

It’s not quite the same but the committee of the Mini Cooper Register (MCR) decided a few months ago to farm out the sale of club regalia to a third party. It’s an onerous task dealing with car club regalia and I understand their reason for offloading it to a third party. All well and good but recent comments on the MCR forum would indicate that there have been problems with items taking weeks to arrive, slow email responses, difficulty in making contact by phone, etc. This all might be just a small blip or it might be a major problem. I have no idea, but it does show that keeping things ‘in-house’ may well have its advantages even if it does make it tough going for those responsible within the club.

Graham Robinson

PJ

Post by PJ » Thu Jul 16, 2015 17:18

Last edited by PJ on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:01, edited 1 time in total.
You don't give up Moking when you get old ...... you get old when you give up Moking!

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Thu Jul 16, 2015 17:27

I'm aware of all this, and being as the committee meeting is but a short drive for me ( hopefully in sunny Moke weather) I shall be raising the matter

Now let's get back to interesting stuff
California dreaming

spider
MMC Member

Post by spider » Thu Jul 16, 2015 18:46

(post removed by poster ;))
Last edited by spider on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:24, edited 1 time in total.
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.

Daniel
MMC Member

Post by Daniel » Thu Jul 16, 2015 19:32

Hi all,

I got this e-mail also, but prior to discussing about this issue I would like to ask some questions:
- Does anybody know Dave Orme (a quick Google search was not successful). Is he really a Moke Club member? I believe Kate should be able to clarify this.
- Does anybody know about these discussions? In the e-mail Paul Hancox is mentioned as to be on "our" side, anyway as chairman Paul should be able to tell some details!
- Finally, how did he get our e-mail addresses?

I´m quite sure any discussion should only be started with secured information.

Daniel
The Moke model car overview: http://www.mokemodels.tk

Return to “Club Talk”