moke body number question....

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Gijzzy

Re: moke body number question....

Post by Gijzzy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:24

Robin Jones wrote:So, Gijzzy, what's the difference between a MK1 & a MK11 Moke's bonnet hinges???
It is not the hinge it self but the location on the firewall.
MK I:
MKII and later:
Don't look at the vertical extra strip!! No clue if that is original.

Look at the gap between windscreen and hinge location. From MK II on they relocated the hinge upwards, otherwise the bonnet will hit the wipers. The 'bracket' on the bonnet that goes into the hinge has got a bigger radius arm as well (MK II on).

Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones » Thu Jan 19, 2012 16:30

"...The 'bracket' on the bonnet that goes into the hinge has got a bigger radius arm as well (MK II on)..."

Hmmm. Interesting.... I had never noticed that before. Of course, there again, I've rarely had my Moke next to another.
Which brings up the possibilty of why my bonnet fouls on the windscreen wipers. Could someone have previously bunged on a MK1 bonnet?
Any chance of someone taking the measurement on a MK1? (distance from the top of the bonnet to the top of the 'bracket')

Jick, sorry for the thread hi-jack.
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Thu Jan 19, 2012 17:26

Mark 1 -------bonnet to top of plate =34mm, top of plate to top of firewall (Americanism) =14mm
Mark Aussie--- ditto =44mm, ditto =4mm

Sorry for the Euro measuring system,but I had my EC standard tape in my pocket at the time
At least can add up

Ezeltje

Post by Ezeltje » Thu Jan 19, 2012 18:04

Here is your problem with the wipers foul the bonnet Robin ( to much rubber ).http://flic.kr/p/bfphkD

André
-/__MOKE MY DAY__\-

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Thu Jan 19, 2012 20:40

The strip isn't an origional fitting Gijzzy, it's a good way of securing the bonnet though. The same effect could be achieved by squeezing the metals together slightly to give the rubber more "grip"
At least can add up

fistral fig

Post by fistral fig » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:28

Don't look at the vertical extra strip!! No clue if that is original.

I would think thats been added to stop someone walking off with the bonnet?

jick

Post by jick » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:02

Robin Jones wrote:"...The 'bracket' on the bonnet that goes into the hinge has got a bigger radius arm as well (MK II on)..."

Hmmm. Interesting.... I had never noticed that before. Of course, there again, I've rarely had my Moke next to another.
Which brings up the possibilty of why my bonnet fouls on the windscreen wipers. Could someone have previously bunged on a MK1 bonnet?
Any chance of someone taking the measurement on a MK1? (distance from the top of the bonnet to the top of the 'bracket')

Jick, sorry for the thread hi-jack.
No problem man.....its interesting stuff!

anyway...finally here's a photo of the body number on mine...

as you can see...definitely AMB...
its upside down on the left hand side of the engine bay....any thoughts?

Bodge

Post by Bodge » Fri Jan 20, 2012 22:36

I've just had a look back through our M Parts records and come across another Moke with an AMB prefixed body number. James' particular Moke has quite a high body number which is comparable with the body number on my 1968 Moke with an AB prefixed body number. This in itself is quite interesting as mine is a Morris, which would suggest the Mechanical Service Parts List may not be 100% correct. It would suggest the body number on my Moke should commence MB. Perhaps there were two (or more) sets of body number sequences that were being allocated.

What is clear is that James' Moke is definitely a Mk1 shell despite having the Mk2 running gear. It has none of the holes in the bulkhead for the twin wiper rack motor (that actually began being fitted to Mokes maybe as early as late 1966) Nor does it have the distinctive holes for the Mk1 wiper motor (a large centre hole a smaller hole to each side.) The bonnet hinge discussion above is also a good pointer.

I wonder whether this Moke may have been rebuilt from an accident damaged shell. Hence the lack of a chassis plate, the strange position of the voltage regulator, apparent lack of a fuse box, odd wiring loom and non standard wiper rack.

It is definitely a Moke but we need to dig a bit further on this one I think. Roger

Gijzzy

Post by Gijzzy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 17:21

Today I was at our own moke and took a picture of the body number:
Seems a bit different than yours (other font), but don't think that will make a big difference.

But as I noticed, the last character is a 'L' and is also mentioned in the service parts list as 'BMC Internal Reference only'. I guess on your moke it will be a 'L' as well because it should have six numbers and a extra Suffix (according Service parts list).
Bodge wrote:This in itself is quite interesting as mine is a Morris, which would suggest the Mechanical Service Parts List may not be 100% correct. It would suggest the body number on my Moke should commence MB.
Your chassis number starts with: M-AB1- ??

Interesting stuff: body numbers :? .

tdiesel464

Post by tdiesel464 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 13:36

Hi guy's This is Luke from Malta, Europe.

I am new to this forum.

I have just bought a Moke, which from what i am reading it is a Mk 1. As the windscreen hinges are lowwer! I do not have any chassie or engine numbers ( a comon thing in malta with old cars !!)

But I do have the Body number AMB 0005xxN . i have requasted the BMIHC Ltd to supply me with engine and chassie numbers. My engine is an 850cc So i think its original.

Can anyone post a picture of an orriginal chassie plate of a Mk 1 ?

I have no idea what it looks like. On the Mini spares, there are a few and have no idea which mine should be. To start of with, should it be an Austin or Morris ? Should it also have the engine number with it or not ? etc etc

Thanks to all and keep up the good work/info.

Luke

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Mon Feb 13, 2012 18:42

Really? Isn't yours an Aussie? Mine is nice and flat. Perhaps they exported the bent ones to the UK (in revenge for all those terrible convicts the UK sent to us).

Tim, not wanting to boast but... I've got two now. My origional Aussie and a S.African built mark 1 :D

The way I see it is if you've got a car you can only use 1 month out of the year why not have two ?
At least can add up

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Mon Feb 13, 2012 18:46

Hi Luke and welcome to THE forum. Can you post some pics of your Moke? Specifically round the bulkhead and wiper mounting points. We should be able to identify its mark from details like that.
At least can add up

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Feb 13, 2012 19:32

Excellent news Nigel. I've never allowed small practicalities, such as whether I can actually use a vehicle, from stopping me from owning them, most of my collection don't actually go. Perhaps you could get a top for one of them so that you could extend the season a couple of weeks in each direction.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Mon Feb 13, 2012 21:19

Oh, I've got a top for one of them - just don't use it. :shock: My thinking is: Why have a car with a fold down hood if you're going to ride round with it up all the time...Mightt as well drive a BMW thing
At least can add up

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Feb 13, 2012 21:59

I understand where you're coming from Nigel, I say the same thing about hardtops, but my answer would be: "So you can drive it for more than one month of the year" :lol:

When a Moke was my only car, I found that the roof was very useful. My principal is that if its not raining the top must be down. I was forever putting the roof up and down, but I did get to drive with the top down very often. Now that I have a soft grown-ups car I tend to only drive when the forecast is good, so I don't use the Moke nearly as often as I should.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Return to “Moke Talk”