Planning for 2018 expedition!

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Stromfirth

Planning for 2018 expedition!

Post by Stromfirth » Tue Jul 25, 2017 17:50

Eventually we have solved our overheating problems, the moke is running well and ready for an adventure.
As we live on the Shetland Isles, we need to plan ahead - does anyone know where and when there are mini or moke meetings in 2018?
Also, advice on security - I doubt if I can leave it parked on the street!

Wally2
MMC Member

Re: Planning for 2018 expedition!

Post by Wally2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 21:06

Hi,
Glad you managed to solve the overheating, mine has a 'heater' from a mini van installed but really it is an engine cooling device!
Events for 2018, not much known as yet, there is the London new years day parade, The IMM will be in Portugal on 17th to 21st May.
Presumably there will be an IMMM somewhere in Europe, as well as a Welsh Weekend around 14th to 16th September. There should be a Moke Club National sometime in the summer months if someone steps forward to arrange it.
Best advice is to keep an eye on the forum and the Moking magazine (assuming that you are a Club member! if your not then you ought to be!).
For general mini events look at this web site
http://www.classicshowsuk.co.uk/classic ... -april.asp
You can search by car type, month or area.
As for security, remember that 4 strong people can pick a Moke up! I have fitted a key operated battery isolating switch in the battery side pod cover, this is also useful if the Moke is in the garage for long periods and also isolates the live lead onto the solenoid, thus preventing sparks flying when you drop a spanner on it!
These are not cheap but are available from E-Bay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durite-0-605- ... 1438.l2649
Usually at Moke events you park your Moke at the side of your tent, or in the car park at the B & B! Also make sure that your insurance is for the true worth of your Moke i.e. if it was a total loss would you be able to buy a similar one with the insurance pay out?
Cheers
Chris

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Jul 26, 2017 0:13

When I used to leave mine parked in the street I had quite a bit of trouble with theft. It was stolen and recovered. So I fitted a security switch that cut the wire between the coil and distributor. That made it impossible to start, so they rolled it away. After that I fitted a combination lock on the handbrake. That defeated them for a while, so then they just torched it.

I keep the current one in a locked garage. The combination lock died, so I use a club lock on the steering wheel if I have to leave it somewhere dodgy.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:38

Hi Tim,
I do hope you are not trying to put a new Moke event attendee off coming! :o
To my knowledge no Moke has been vandalised or stolen whilst attending an event, either from a camp site or B & B/hotel.
When at events I tend to cover the Moke with a tarpaulin as having no sides it will get wet if it rains overnight but also it disguises what it is. also the events are usually in non dodgy areas!

Chris

Stromfirth

Post by Stromfirth » Wed Jul 26, 2017 21:08

Thanks for the advice - I hope we can find somewhere not too far South that we can come along to.
We are heading "next door" to Orkney for their Vintage Rally in a couple of weeks.

If we do make it to the mainland, we will probably book accommodation and make sure it has secure parking for overnight stays, my worry is that someone will nick it while we are shopping somewhere. I will just have to leave hubby on guard!!

I have a dead switch fitted and will probably fit some sort of lock to the bonnet, then I can remove the coil wire!
I take your point about the insurance - what is a 1967 UK Austin Moke worth?
Minus points - rough paint job (hammerite!), home made roof, not original engine as a 1000 was fitted in 1970.
Plus points - no rust, all can be removed and put back to original, have the sticks and tilt in as new condition!
Would be interested what you think I should insure it for??

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Jul 26, 2017 22:59

If you're just leaving it for a short time, you only have to worry about opportunistic thieves. An immobiliser and a steering lock )or similar will be fine. Mine has a steering column lock and that's all I rely on normally.

If I'm travelling and need to leave it parked somewhere dodgy with bags in the bag, I have a pacsafe exomesh, a sort of wire mesh bag that encloses your luggage and can be locked to the seat frame or something.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 14:23

Stromfirth wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 21:08

Would be interested what you think I should insure it for??
Hi,
Difficult to say without more description/photos etc. but somewhere between £12k and £20k for an English Moke in good condition. Have a look at these sites:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... acat=29751
http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/keywords-mini+moke
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/classic_ ... =50&S.y=16
Then you need to talk it over with your insurance company, they may require photos etc.
Cheers
Chris

Return to “Moke Talk”