4x4 Moke

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Jersey Moke

4x4 Moke

Post by Jersey Moke » Wed Dec 20, 2017 17:33

Has anyone seen this Moke for sale on the car and Classic website. Is this Moke for real?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C936473

Tim

Re: 4x4 Moke

Post by Tim » Wed Dec 20, 2017 23:19

Yes its for real.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:51

For all those people that keep asking me what I want for Christmas.......here's a clue
Chasing gt3's

Jersey Moke

Post by Jersey Moke » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:48

Wow, I will ask santa for it for Christmas :)

The estimated guide price is quite conservative in my opinion for a piece of motoring history. £20/£25k for a unique Moke or would you buy an English Moke for that money? I know what I would buy..

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Dec 27, 2017 0:52

According to Watto, who drove it and wrote an article about it for The Mini Experience, it wasn't much good off-road. Its differentials weren't appropriate for off-road stresses and apparently the gearbox casing was very vulnerable to breaking. I understand this was an issue with some of the higher power minis (like the era turbos) as well.

On top of that, some people suggest that it might not be in quite as good condition as has been suggested, which might be why it hasn't sold despite seeming cheap, and having been on offer for several years.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

spider
MMC Member

Post by spider » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:23

I noticed this car didn't sell at auction and in fact, the current owner has had it for sale for around 18 months now and can't move it, despite it being advertised for under what other 'mortal' Mokes have been selling for here and in the UK. Clearly, it's also had world wide 'coverage' too that it's for sale.

All this seems quite out of place at a time when record prices are being paid by collectors everywhere.

IMO, the car is sadly misrepresented, in that it's been advertised as being 'restored' which granted, means different things do different people, but a clean and paint over worn out parts is not what I tend to think of as 'restored'. I know too that the Crown Wheel in the front diff is broken and the rear one has been out of alignment for many years (since prior to the time that it appeared in a Magazine about 20 years back). These are the special off ball types and these alone would set someone back around $20k AUD to have made.

Also, and most sad, the car has been rebodied at some point.

A good friend of mine (the guy who owns the home made 4WD Moke that I did the gearbox repair on) had a look at it around a year ago but was also put off. The Body Number has been re-stamped and it doesn't match the compliance plate. I recent got in touch with a very long time ex-SA Moke Club Member & friend who looked at and photographed the car when it was on loan from Leyland and on display at the National Motor Museum in Birdwood (in 1983), where on display, the board with it referred to it as a pre-production car. The Numbers from that car, don't match this one (neither the body numbers or engine). Best I can work out, storing any car in a harsh environment like Darwin, on top of a workshop toilet block wouldn't do wonders for it rust wise and I suspect that's where the original car met it's end. And some of the running gear from that car was used to build up this one. I'm not 100% sure of this last bit, just what I've been able to piece together from a few people who have seen t since it was in the Museum, then Darwin for 20 odd years.

I think that it hasn't sold also says a similar story of the interested buyers who have also looked at the car too.

It is a real shame this has happened, IMO, the original car should have never left the museum.
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.

Return to “Moke Talk”