Reverse and 2nd gear

Doug G
MMC Member

Reverse and 2nd gear

Post by Doug G » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:23

My Mini Moke keeps jumping out of 2nd gear. I can work round that and live with it.

However today it decided NOT to go into reverse gear. :shock:

It did forgo one maneuver then declined again. :(

Is there an EASY and economical fix? :D

What should I do to correct this?
Having a moking good time!

Wally2
MMC Member

Re: Reverse and 2nd gear

Post by Wally2 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:03

hi Doug,
Before going to the expense of taking the engine/gearbox out, have a look at the gear change, I think that wear in the bearings etc. in the gear change mechanism can give problems like you are experiencing.
Cheers
Chris

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:45

Jumping out of second is not uncommon, I think it is usually caused by the gear selector fork becoming worn or spread, inside the gearbox. The part is available to replace it, but its a massive job, so most people just hold it in, or put up with it. I've occasionally had a problem with the gear change balking as it goes in to reverse, but usually, if you letthe clutch out and try again it will work.

Which gear change mechanism do you have Doug? Rod or 'direct'? Both can have reverse problems, but usually for different reasons.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G » Mon Jul 31, 2017 19:44

Tim wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:45
Jumping out of second is not uncommon, I think it is usually caused by the gear selector fork becoming worn or spread, inside the gearbox. The part is available to replace it, but its a massive job, so most people just hold it in, or put up with it. I've occasionally had a problem with the gear change balking as it goes in to reverse, but usually, if you letthe clutch out and try again it will work.

Which gear change mechanism do you have Doug? Rod or 'direct'? Both can have reverse problems, but usually for different reasons.

Tim
How do you tell the difference between 'rod' and 'direct'?
Having a moking good time!

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Jul 31, 2017 22:42

Easiest way is to look underneath. If the gear lever emerges directly from the back of the gearbox, with a metal plate underneath it, its direct. If there are a pair of short metal rods coming back to a rectangular box, immediately beneath the gear stick, its rod.

I'm pretty certain yours should be 'direct'. These are especially prone to wear in the change mechanism, like Chris suggests.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”