Engine change or re-build ?

Jersey Moke

Engine change or re-build ?

Post by Jersey Moke » Sat Dec 17, 2011 18:02

Hi

I have the opportunity to purchase a mini engine and gear box with low mileage, which has come out of a 1991 mini.

Can anyone tell me if I could do a straight swap of a 998cc Engine and Gear box from a 1991 mini, into my 1980 Aussie Moke which currently has a 998cc engine and gear box? Will the gear box ratios be the same and did the 1991 cars have electronic ignitions etc in them?

My other option is to strip down my current engine and gear box, which runs fine, burns a bit of oil, has a few oil leaks and jumps out of second and forth gear sometimes too.

Which option should I go with ?

Thanks

Nick

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Engine change or re-build ?

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Sat Dec 17, 2011 19:05

I think the starter moter would be different. Also, the clutch would probably be a verto type and the dizzy slightly different.
That said, it'd probably be less work to swap than rebuild (cheaper too)
California dreaming

Tim

Post by Tim » Sat Dec 17, 2011 23:45

You'd probably need to swap the diff crown wheel and pinion out of the the Moke into the new gearbox, I would expect the Mini to have a different ratio. Otherwise if they are both 998s it should be a very straightforward swap.

That said, it will affect the originality and might reduce the resale value, in comparison to reconditioning the original engine. When I transplanted my Moke, I kept the original power unit so that it can be put back to original later.

I'm pretty sure that they didn't have electronic ignition in 1991.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:37

I think that a '91 engine would have a 65D dizzy on i. If so you'd be able to tell as there will be an amplifier module (a black box thing) on the side of the dizzy
California dreaming

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:38

Oh, and the cap will be held on with screws rather than clips
California dreaming

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:07

Oh that kind of electronic ignition. I was thinking about the SPI type with no distributor and a reluctor built into the flywheel.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 19:44

Think that might be too big a job to put one of those engines in
California dreaming

Jersey Moke

Post by Jersey Moke » Mon Dec 19, 2011 23:29

Thanks guys I think that I will go down the re-build option. That way I know that everything will work correctly.

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:41

Its been done before. I think the idea is to get a "front cut" and transfer everything over.

Tim

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”