Poorly engine!!

Wally2
MMC Member

Poorly engine!!

Post by Wally2 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 21:10

Hi all, Tales of woe at the moment! Keep getting reasonable good weather and I'm in the garage trying to get WEE MOKE going properly.
Had to take the distributor (25d4) off to get the noisy starter motor out. Cleaned the starter motor bendix gear(think it will need a new one before too long!), anyway while the distributor was out I put new points, condenser and a new low tension lead in as well as a new cap and rotor.
On putting it all back I notice that the clamp was not tight and that the dissy had rotated slightly so I thought no probs I'II set the timing static and get it tuned up later. According to the manual; for dissy 40767 static is 7 degrees BTDC. The vac unit doesnt seem to be fully functional (the ratchet spring bit is missing for a start) so I did it by rotating the dissy body using some very clear instructions I found on tinternet by Doug Lawson ( google - 'A series engine ignition timing' first one up is 'Static ignition timing - General' a pdf file)
Also put some new plugs in and fired it up. Now we have the problem! Its running pretty 'lumpy' i.e. d,d,d,d (very descriptive!). So when warm I disconnected plug lead 4 and the revs dropped quite a lot, same with plug lead 3, but no. 2 hardly made any difference neither did no. 1. After running a while I took out the plugs to find 3 & 4 black and sooty but 1 & 2 reasonably clean. So spent loads of time putting old bits back on to no avail. I tried swapping leads over but problem stayed with 1 & 2, also tried swapping plugs over same effect.
So off to a friends tomorrow, he has a compression tester so we will see if its blown valves of head gasket? Cant help thinking I've dropped a b-----k somewhere but I'm damned if I can find it! Only other thought is the new distributor cap? Cannot try the old one as it went in the bin and bins been emptied! Might just buy another to try it.
This is realy frustrating as I want to be out there in the sunshine having fun!! but living in a hilly place little moky wont make it back up some of them in this state!
Any ideas?
Cheers Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

Daniel
MMC Member

Re: Poorly engine!!

Post by Daniel » Wed Aug 22, 2012 21:47

Hi Chris,

sounds like you haven´t got the correct firing sequence after replacing the distributor cap.
What about the capacitor in the distributor?

No other ideas if you have only changed the cap and plugs.

Regards,
Daniel
The Moke model car overview: http://www.strasserhof.com/moke

Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 23:28

Hi Daniel, firing sequence checked 1,3,4,2, also new condencer fitted (old one put back still no change!). Will let you know how i go on tomorrow.
Cheers Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

Ezeltje

Post by Ezeltje » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:44

Hi,

Did you remember that the distributor is turning anti-clockwise?

André
-/__MOKE MY DAY__\-

janz
MMC Member

Post by janz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 17:12

Was going to say - wrong firing sequence, i.e leads 3 and 4 reversed possibly, but I'm sure you're right Chris. - electronic ignition is good :wink: Ok, not original :?
Ezeltje wrote:Hi,

Did you remember that the distributor is turning anti-clockwise?

André
Interesting.... when viewed from the front or rear? I remember spending hours getting the mixture right on my LR S3 2.6 (old Rover 110 straight six engine). It said turn anti clockwise to go richer and vise versa. Never read that it said 'when viewed from the top' :roll:
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ

Daniel
MMC Member

Post by Daniel » Thu Aug 23, 2012 19:31

janz wrote:Interesting.... when viewed from the front or rear?
Hi,
should be viewed from front. :wink:

Daniel
The Moke model car overview: http://www.strasserhof.com/moke

Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 20:26

hi all, Bad news is in! Compression test on No.1 & 2 cylinders shows less than 50lbs/in2, 3 & 4 were 146 ish (should be around 150), so it looks like the head is coming off to find out if its the gasket or the valves. As the head has not been modified for unleaded petrol I will proberbly get it re-valved and have new valve seats fitted.
Cheers Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:37

Hi Chris, if the head is off, get it skimmed as well. Just to make sure it is flat and use a high quality gasket when you put it back. Also use a good quality piece of heater hose for the bypass hose.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1992 VW T3 Multivan LLE No 2113

Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 14:23

Hi, Thanks for that, I've been advised that PAYEN copper gaskets are the best but I've having trouble locating one, mini spares are out of stock and my local guy says that Payen are no longer available?
Any ideas?
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Fri Aug 24, 2012 14:38

Save : 26.2%

Cylinder Head Gasket - Copper - 850/998/1100cc
High quality copper head gasket suitable for all small bore engines. More info »

£7.28 (£8.74) inc VAT
RRP: £9.87 Save:26.2%
Part No: GEG302
Qty:

Is that the sort of thing you're looking for ?
At least can add up

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Fri Aug 24, 2012 14:40

Hmmm, so much for copy-n-pasting. The info is from the MiniSport website. They also show a copper one in a set with all the other gaskets needed for a head off
At least can add up

grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 15:02

Hi. try Rod or Collin at Southam Mini and Metro, Unit 1, Baird Park Brickyard Road, Southam, Napton On The Hill, Southam CV47 8NT
01926 815681 They should be able to supply you. They take plastic, but not sure about Mail order. They are close to me. Where are you?
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke

Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 20:42

Hi Grangtourer, thanks for the info, will try them tomorrow. I'm in Derbyshire.
I've ordered a gasket set from our local shop but the head gasket is not a copper one, its a BGA fibre gasket. I've phoned a few places now and they are all telling me that Payen are not producing gaskets at present and nobody seems to know if and when they will start again.
Mini Spares also have a set with Payen gaskets but they are out of stock and cannot tell me when they will expect any more. They also have a copper one on its own (doesnt say whose make) so I may send for that as well. I am assuming that my mate is correct in that copper ones are prefered?
Cheers Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 20:51

Hi Chris. Not sure what they supply, but I have had a few of there head gaskets, and no failures. Let me know if they will not post. i can pick one up for you and chuck it in the post to you.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke

Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 23:08

Hi grandtours, Will do and thanks for the offer of posting to me, very kind of you.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”