Fuel tanks

PJ

Fuel tanks

Post by PJ » Fri Nov 18, 2011 15:09

1) Does anyone know with 100% certainty if the side-fill fuel tank in a 1982 Australian is the same as (or at least interchangeable with) that found in a 1986 Portuguese?

2) Is there anyone out there who is running fuel injection - either an Mpi transplant or aftermarket kit - on a Moke? I'd be interested to know what they've done about fuel feed and return lines, injection pump, fuel pick-up etc: I've got my own ideas but would always be happy to benefit from someone elses experience.

PJ
You don't give up Moking when you get old ...... you get old when you give up Moking!

janz
MMC Member

Re: Fuel tanks

Post by janz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:04

PJ wrote: Is there anyone out there who is running fuel injection - either an Mpi transplant or aftermarket kit - on a Moke? I'd be interested to know what they've done about fuel feed and return lines, injection pump, fuel pick-up etc: I've got my own ideas but would always be happy to benefit from someone elses experience.PJ
Sorry PJ, just brute carbs n ignorance....... I have a spare 3.9L V8 EFI from my old Disco...... wonder if we could get that to fit.... transverse :lol: See you soon.
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:11

Couldn't you just put it in-line behind the driver/passenger seats / :)
At least can add up

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:13

As to the tanks, I can't see why they'd be different .... And P.S. I've got a complete SPi setup in the garage if you'd like
At least can add up

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:27

janz wrote: I have a spare 3.9L V8 EFI from my old Disco...... wonder if we could get that to fit.... transverse :lol: See you soon.
It should do. There are at least two Minis with transverse Rover V8s that I know of.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G » Mon Nov 21, 2011 21:55

I was just going to post "thats the sort of query I'd put to Tim. . . and get a great answer." but he pre-empted me. :D :D :D Well done Tim.
Having a moking good time!

PJ

Post by PJ » Thu Nov 24, 2011 18:01

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Couldn't you just put it in-line behind the driver/passenger seats / :)
I had thought of that but I'm not keen on having 'high pressure' fuel pipe connections in the passenger compartment. I'm going to take the underside cover plate off this weekend if I have time, and see if there is room to tuck the pump up beside the front of the tank. The Bosch pump I've got is only about 2.5" diameter. If necessary I could get a recess made in the tank with a bit of cutting and welding to make clearance: I'll be needing some welding or brazing on the tank anyway as I'll be needing a bigger bore outlet and a return connection, as well as some sort of baffling or fuel surge/starvation prevention.

If all else fails I'll run a low pressure pipe across under the seat crossmember from the tank to the other side and put the pump in the front tool compartment - thinking about that, it's a good idea, it'll bring the pressure pipe out on the correct side of the engine compartment which will keep it well away from the exhaust
You don't give up Moking when you get old ...... you get old when you give up Moking!

PJ

Post by PJ » Thu Nov 24, 2011 18:05

janz wrote: I have a spare 3.9L V8 EFI from my old Disco...... wonder if we could get that to fit....
and I have a spare Moke :) .......... no, don't put ideas in my head

janz
MMC Member

Post by janz » Fri Nov 25, 2011 23:57

PJ wrote: and I have a spare Moke :) .......... no, don't put ideas in my head
Ok let's forget that then..... how about; swap you your spare Moke for my spare V8 :lol:
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ

bnicho

Post by bnicho » Sun Dec 04, 2011 23:33

There are a few SPi Mokes running around in Australia. I've never looked closely how and where the pump and/or surge tank was mounted.

Cheers,
Brett.
"Sell you my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!"
Mopoke - 1971 Aussie Big Wheeler Moke with 1275 A+ powah.
Plus classic Minis and a Beetle just to mix things up a bit.

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Dec 04, 2011 23:55

Brett, how are you going to get fuel into your twin cam? Carburettor or EFI?

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

bnicho

Post by bnicho » Tue Dec 06, 2011 0:33

Tim wrote:Brett, how are you going to get fuel into your twin cam? Carburettor or EFI?

Tim
I'll use the Honda bike carbies that came with the head. I don't want EFi on my Moke, I'm old-school. :)

Cheers,

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:02

Chicken

Tim

bnicho

Post by bnicho » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:13

"Nobody calls me chicken!" :D

The engine came with the carbies already set up. To go EFi would cost mega dollars. Dollars better spent on the Traveller.

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:00

Yeah carbies should be a lot easier. Does it have a bank of four?

Tim

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”