Is this OK to use?

Doug G
MMC Member

Is this OK to use?

Post by Doug G » Mon Jun 25, 2012 21:31

:?: Facet Road Fuel Pump - Solid State
Part No: FACSS501
£26.42 (£31.70) inc VA

Road - Electronic 12v negative earth fuel pump, 12 gal/hr, 2.5-3 PSI, <130BHP, 1/8 NPTF.

in my mini moke?
Having a moking good time!

Tim

Re: Is this OK to use?

Post by Tim » Mon Jun 25, 2012 23:44

It sounds about right, the main thing is that they don't deliver too much fuel at too high a pressure and 2.5 - 3psi sounds spot on. Most modern pumps are too strong and cause fuel to leak out of the float chamber.

Having said that, I've always preferred the mechanical pumps that bolt onto the back of the block, they tend to be very reliable (when they are working) and don't make any annoying ticking sounds. They are a pain to fit, but once they're on there you can forget them. Like this one.

http://www.minisport.com/mini-spare-par ... X1818.html

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:02

That Facet pump should work just fine. It'll be just a bit louder than the Su pump though.....
Me? I've got a SU pump converted to solid state (no points) and a spare in the cubby hole because... Well, just because it is a SU pump after all.... :roll:
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.

Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:51

Tim wrote: Having said that, I've always preferred the mechanical pumps that bolt onto the back of the block, they tend to be very reliable (when they are working) and don't make any annoying ticking sounds. They are a pain to fit, but once they're on there you can forget them. Like this one.

Tim
I've got one of those fitted. It works great but is worryingly close to my Freeflow manifold.
Dean

Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G » Tue Jun 26, 2012 16:28

Tim wrote:It sounds about right, the main thing is that they don't deliver too much fuel at too high a pressure and 2.5 - 3psi sounds spot on. Most modern pumps are too strong and cause fuel to leak out of the float chamber.

Having said that, I've always preferred the mechanical pumps that bolt onto the back of the block, they tend to be very reliable (when they are working) and don't make any annoying ticking sounds. They are a pain to fit, but once they're on there you can forget them. Like this one.

Tim
Have an electric pump which causes the float chamber to leak. The idjuts that fitted it put in too powerful a pump.

I have a mechanical pump. The idjuts that fitted it says it is not working properly.

I think i will reconnect it (except at the Carb) turn the starter and see if the pump pumps.

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Tue Jun 26, 2012 19:11

I stuck mine in the side cubby in front of the tank Dean......And don't forget everyone, the standard fuel pump is in a position that is hard to get to (bearing in mind Dougs mechanics) :roll:
At least can add up

Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:33

Actually the mech pump is fitted.

There is a piece of hose connecting the inlet to the outlet or vise versa :lol: and so it currently pumps the fuel around the loop.

Simple (even for me) to remove the loop, connect the fuel tank hose and then the hose to the carb. 8) :D 8)

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:44

The odds are that the diaphragm in the mechanical pump has a hole in it and it won't pump, otherwise it would still be being used.

I don't really know why, but very few Australian Minis and Mokes used electric fuel pumps, probably because the SU ones had a bad reputation. One claimed advantage of the mechanical pump is that it will stop pumping if the engine stops. Apparently you will die in a fireball if you crash and your electrical pump keeps squirting fuel.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:47

Tim wrote:The odds are that the diaphragm in the mechanical pump has a hole in it and it won't pump, otherwise it would still be being used.

I don't really know why, but very few Australian Minis and Mokes used electric fuel pumps, probably because the SU ones had a bad reputation. One claimed advantage of the mechanical pump is that it will stop pumping if the engine stops. Apparently you will die in a fireball if you crash and your electrical pump keeps squirting fuel.

Tim
Has this been established?

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:26

Not by me, but its often recommended that electric fuel pumps have an inertia cutout that switches them off in a prang. Its an extremely remote risk though.

Tim

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Wed Jun 27, 2012 17:26

All modern cars have an inertia cut out for the fuel pump
At least can add up

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Wed Jun 27, 2012 17:27

As do the SPi and MPi minis
At least can add up

Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G » Wed Jun 27, 2012 18:32

I am now nervous.

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:17

I'm sure you could easily fit an inertia switch in the electrical feed to the pump. The good thing is that if it is tripped you'll realise because you won't be able to hear the pump.

Tim

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Thu Jun 28, 2012 19:02

Or (perhaps easier for you to get hold of) one of those switches used on jetskis etc
At least can add up

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”