WANTED - PETROL TANK FILLER CAP

Debsinwalkabout

WANTED - PETROL TANK FILLER CAP

Post by Debsinwalkabout » Sun Jan 20, 2013 18:15

My Dad has been running a Mini Moke in Zimbabwe, Africa since the early 1970's. He's currently rebuilding another second Mini Moke (Zimbabwean assembled) and has a problem as he's missing the petrol tank filler cap. As he's in a local bush location I regularly get requests from him to source parts in the UK for his various old but trusty vehicles. Finding this cap is proving tricky. If anyone can assist Please get back to me.

The Fuel cap is 4 pin outside dia. 116mm; tank neck 107 mm OD and 100 mm ID. He tells me that the cap is similar to that used in Series 0 and 1 Land Rovers for their under the seat tanks. Thanks

Dean
MMC Member

Re: WANTED - PETROL TANK FILLER CAP

Post by Dean » Sun Jan 20, 2013 23:48

Hi,
I think this is the one he needs but best to email them and check the dimensions.
http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/land-r ... 8-58-.html
Dean

Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean » Mon Jan 21, 2013 0:21

Dean wrote:Hi,
I think this is the one he needs but best to email them and check the dimensions.
http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/land-r ... 8-58-.html
Dean
Just been looking through a few Land Rover forums and the part I mentioned above might not be suitable. There are several different types of the early cap and some have the retaining prongs and some don't. Best to ask them if their cap has the prongs.
If you draw a blank with them, I may have one kicking around in the shed somewhere.
Dean

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:44

I'm pretty sure that the land rover cap is different Dean. An Austin Gypsy is the one you're looking for! But I think they will be harder to find than a Moke one
California dreaming

Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:34

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:I'm pretty sure that the land rover cap is different Dean. An Austin Gypsy is the one you're looking for! But I think they will be harder to find than a Moke one
From what I've now read, there were 3 different types of the large cap fitted to Land Rovers (with the under seat filler).
The first type was the one with 4 spigots, the same as English Mokes. They then replaced the spigots with 4 "lugs" for the second version. I have one of each of these caps that I bought from a Landy dealer in the 90's (I think I still have them somewhere).
The 3rd type is the one that still seems commonly available and this has two small "bumps" on the inside edge of the cap that must engage on the outside of the filler neck which won't work on a Moke tank unless the tank filler is modified in some way.
The big Moke cap was fitted over a longer period of time (and to more Mokes) in Australia so it shouldn't be that hard sourcing one over here.
Dean

Debsinwalkabout

Post by Debsinwalkabout » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:28

Dean & Nigel,

Thanks for your feedback. My Dad accesses email via dial-up (no broadband) so unfortunately can't access this forum directly. I have pasted all your responses into an email to him and await his response.

Dean - I phoned the guys that you gave me the weblink for (thanks for that) and they have asked me to get a photo of the top of the tank neck - so I've emailed my Dad to see if he can get someone with a digital camera around to arrange that. There are numerous old Landi's in the area where he is so I've suggest that he borrows fuel-caps off any he can get too and tries them on his moke. If they fit to take a photo and get that to me too.. . . . . . watch this space.

Nigel - had a brief websearch for Austin Gypsy fuel caps but so far no luck there. BTW I grew up in Africa with temperatures that Dean will be used too but now living in Scotland . . . .I hate winter too!!!
Debs

Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:28

Have a look at post 'Even more petrol cap questions' in the 'Cooling,Fuel and Exhaust' section, there are some photos of petrol caps there.
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:40

Wally2 wrote:Have a look at post 'Even more petrol cap questions' in the 'Cooling,Fuel and Exhaust' section, there are some photos of petrol caps there.
Chris
Ahh, that's where I put them.
I was sitting here earlier after it dawned on me that I'd taken photos of the cap at some point and had been searching the photos on my hard drive trying to find them (unsuccessfully).
Thanks Chris and I've even fixed the links to the photos in the process :)
Dean

Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:47

This is Type No1:

This is Type No2:

This is Type No3:

tonto

Post by tonto » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:42

Cant help but am also ex Zim and currently restoring a moke here in the uk,nice to hear of moke in Zim and all the best in keeping it going. :)

Debsinwalkabout

Post by Debsinwalkabout » Tue Jan 22, 2013 19:40

Dean thanks a million for the photo's and Chris thanks for reminding Dean where he had put them!! I emailed them to my Dad and he has confirmed that what he is needing looks exactly the same as the Type 1 photo. I have emailed John Craddock to ask them if they can supply that . . .fingers crossed. "Tonto" good luck with the rebuild in the UK, when complete I wonder how it will handle the snow :lol:

Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:00

Just noticed this at MiniSport in Australlia (if it's any help).
http://www.minisport.com.au/prod2305.htm
Dean

Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:38

Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 21:23

H Debs,

How did your Dad go on with the filler cap?

Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”