brake pedal travel

mick west

brake pedal travel

Post by mick west » Thu Aug 09, 2018 15:35

I am having problems getting a decent brake pedal travel, at the mo, its to long(in travel). I have all new braking system, have bled the brakes many times.The moke has 8.4 discs up front It is a aussie bred machine. Any one got any ideas of how to get a decent pedal? I have read in the forum about braided hoses, do these really give better results?Also, I have read about longer rods from pedal to cylinder?
Only about the last one third of the pedal travel works. Single line brakes are fitted.
cheers for any help, Mick West

grantourer
MMC Member

Re: brake pedal travel

Post by grantourer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 17:22

Hi Mick. Have you properly adjusted the rear brakes? This can cause excess pedal travel
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1992 VW T3 Multivan LLE No 2113

mick west

Re: brake pedal travel

Post by mick west » Mon Aug 13, 2018 19:42

Hi Graham,
Yes rear brakes all adjusted perfectly. If I clamp off both front hoses, the pedal is to die for!, so one would assume the prob lays with the front brakes.I have bled and bled the dam things with no improvement. I have used vacuum type bleeders, pressure type and conventional bleeding, till I am blue in the face!I have taken the callipers off and turned them upside down in an attempt to remove any air. The pedal at the mo is about 1/3rd does not pump up! Brakes seem to work ok, but I would like a better pedal.

Cheers.Mick West

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes”